Sunday, November 3rd is time to set our clocks back an hour and get an extra hour of sleep. Interesting fact, daylight savings time continues a long tradition started by Benjamin Franklin to conserve energy. Time change is a great way to not miss some important items:
1. change smoke alarm batteries.
2. clean out lint traps and vents from clothes dryer (dryer fires are #1 cause of home fires in US) - you can have a professional clean or you can replace the silver duct venting with the metal rigid type of ductwork (and if that won't fit due to space restrictions, attach new flexible venting). Talk to an appliance professional for what solutions may be right for you.
3. cleaning out gutters can prevent many issues over the winter, and it is a good time to check your roof for any damage. Better to fix a loose shingle before there is ice on the roof. If you won't be getting on a ladder for gutters, then inspecting the roof from the ground with a pair of binoculars is an effective and safer alternative.
4. If you didn’t have your chimney cleaned at the end of the cold season, it’s time to have it cleaned to remove creosote buildup, which can become a fire hazard.
5. Have your heating system cleaned and inspected.
Please let me know if I can be of any help. Remember I’m never too busy to help your family and friends with their real estate needs and questions.